By the middle of June 1849 tube No. 1 was ready for moving. In the upper part of each of the towers for which it was destined had been placed iron beams, 40 feet above the rectangular tube openings, to support a hydraulic press of 2,620 tons lifting power. Each of the two cylinders of a press was 9⅓ feet long, nearly 5 feet in diameter and 16 tons in weight. Its piston moved in a vertical direction.